Nanyang Polytechnic (abbreviation: NYP; Simplified Chinese: 南洋理工学院; Traditional Chinese: 南洋理工學院; Template:Lang-ms) is a Singapore polytechnic located in Ang Mo Kio next to Yio Chu Kang MRT Station, Singapore.
The Polytechnic was established on 1 April 1992, and enrolled its first batch of students for its School of Health Sciences and School of Business Management in July 1992. The School of Engineering and the School of Information Technology was opened in July 1993.
The French-Singapore Institute, German-Singapore Institute and the Japan-Singapore Institute were transferred from the Economic Development Board to the Polytechnic in February 1993.
It originally operated from five temporary campuses (Bukit Merah: School of Business; Jurong: School of Engineering; Outram: School of Nursing; Tiong Bahru: School of Business; Yishun: School of Engineering, School of Information Technology) before moving to its permanent home in Ang Mo Kio in April 1998.
The School of Design and School of Chemical and Life Sciences was set up in November 2000, followed in November 2006 by the School of Interactive and Digital Media in November 2006.
Mr Chan Lee Mun took over as Principal and CEO in August 2007; Mr Lin Cheng Ton went on to head NYP International.
Spread over 305,000 square metres of land (about the size of 60 football fields), Nanyang Polytechnic is situated next to the Yio Chu Kang MRT Station. The institution houses 14 administration blocks, three blocks for recreational and student development purposes and three blocks for staff accommodation. The campus is modelled on a town-centre concept to provide the conveniences of a self-contained "Teaching and Learning City". Facilities include a fully computerised library, laboratories, a Theatre for the Arts and an auditorium. Retail outlets on campus provide a variety of academic items as well as other leisure items.
Sports facilities include track and field, adventure challenge park, gym, swimming pool, tennis court and rock-climbing walls. Badminton, table tennis, basketball and ping pong are available in the air-conditioned sports hall. An Olympic-sized swimming pool is located beside the sport hall.
Nanyang Polytechnic has seven academic schools, offering a variety of courses.
- School of Business Management (SBM)
- School of Chemical & Life Sciences (SCL)
- School Of Design (SDN)
- School of Engineering (SEG)
- School Of Health Sciences (SHS)
- School of Information Technology (SIT)
- School Of Interactive & Digital Media (SIDM)
Students are awarded a Diploma in their field after completing the course. The minimum length for courses is three years. Graduating students have the option of joining the workforce or to continue education in local/overseas universities.
Diplomas with Merit are awarded to students with outstanding performance during their course of study.
In 2008, the polytechnic began a new recognition system (the Director's List) for students who excel academically.
Nanyang Polytechnic has over 50 co-curricular activities, including Arts & Cultural clubs, Sports clubs, a Students' Union and Academic Clubs.
As an organisation, NYP has won many awards and recognitions. This includes:
- 2009 - Hewitt Best Employer Award 
- 2005 - BCA Green Mark Platinum Award
- 2004 - ASEAN Energy Efficiency and Conservation Best Practices Competition (Top Award in New and Existing Building category)
- 2001 - ISO9001:2000 Certification
- 2000 - ISO9001 Certification
- 1999 - ISO14001 Certification
- 1996 - ISO9002 Certification
NYP has many students who have achieved successes on both a national and international level. Some accolades include:
- 2013 - WorldSkills Leipzig (2 golds, 3 Medallion for Excellences)
- 2012 - FIRA RoboWorld Cup (7 Gold, 3 Silver and 2 Bronze,World Record for 6-metre sprint)
- 2012 - Champions at SLA Spatial Challenge 2012 
- 2012 - WorldSkills Singapore (21 Medals) 
- 2012 - 7 awards at Tan Kah Kee Young Inventors' Award 
- 2012 - National InfoComm Competition Champions 
- 2010 - WorldSkills Global (Two Golds, one Bronze and three Medallions for Excellence.)
- Wan Sarah Masputri
- Melissa Han
- Hanna Koh
- Brina Chia
- Tan Pin Si
- Mah Jia Qi
- Soh Ai Qia
- Poh Jing Xiang
- Tan Jun Yang
- Tan Rou Ying
- Joseph Ang (2015 - 2018)
Jeremy Mok has been present in the Nanyang Polytechnic from 1999 to 2003, and after that evolved into the national service in the police force from 2004 to 2006. He had continued serving the police force until 2018, where the reservist has been ended.
- Template:Official website
- Official facebook page
- Discover NYP
- Webometrics Ranking of World Universities
- ↑ http://was2.hewitt.com/bestemployers/asia/english/hewitt_be_singapore2009.htm
- ↑ http://www.nyp.edu.sg/about-nyp/media-centre/e-news/news-archives/2012/jul-sept/nyp-s-win-in-fira-roboworld-cup-receives-accolade-from-pm-during-national-day-rally
- ↑ http://www.nyp.edu.sg/about-nyp/media-centre/e-news/news-archives/2012/jul-sept/champions-at-sla-spatial-challenge-2012
- ↑ http://www.nyp.edu.sg/about-nyp/media-centre/e-news/news-archives/2012/jul-sept/team-nyp-wins-21-medals-at-worldskills-singapore-2012
- ↑ http://www.nyp.edu.sg/about-nyp/media-centre/e-news/news-archives/2012/apr-jun/nyp-bags-7-awards-at-tan-kah-kee-young-inventors-award-2012
- ↑ http://www.nyp.edu.sg/about-nyp/media-centre/e-news/news-archives/2012/apr-jun/nyp-scores-a-hat-trick-at-the-national-infocomm-competition
- ↑ http://www.nyp.edu.sg/about-nyp/media-centre/e-news/news-archives/2011/oct-dec/nyp-competitors-garner-golds-for-singapore-in-41st-worldskills-competition