Png Eng Huat (Template:Zh; born 9 December 1961) is a Singaporean politician and businessman. A member of the opposition Workers' Party, he has been a Member of Parliament (MP) representing the single-member constituency of Hougang since 26 May 2012, when he won the 2012 Hougang by-election.
At the 2011 general election, Png stood as a candidate for the in the East Coast Group Representation Constituency. The five-member team from the Workers' Party was defeated by the team from the governing People's Action Party (PAP) by 49,429 votes (45.2%) to 59,992 (54.8%). This was third-highest percentage of the votes garnered by losing opposition candidates, which therefore entitled the Workers' Party to nominate a member of the team to become a Non-Constituency Member of Parliament (the party nominated Png's team-mate Gerald Giam).
On 10 May 2012, the Workers' Party announced that Png would be the party's candidate in the 2012 Hougang by-election. His nomination was confirmed on 16 May. He was one of two candidates in the by-election, the other being Desmond Choo of the PAP. Png won the by-election by 13,460 votes (62.1%) to 8,223 (37.9%).
Following his election to Parliament, the Workers' Party appointed Png as a Vice-Chairman of the Aljunied-Hougang Town Council.
Early life and educationEdit
Png grew up living in the Tanjong Pagar area of Singapore. He was educated at Peck Seah Primary School and Raffles Institution, before going on to the Singapore Polytechnic, where he completed a Diploma in Electrical Engineering in 1983. He then studied radio, television and film at the University of Texas at Austin in the United States, where he earned a Bachelor of Science degree in 1989.
Png is married and has one son and one daughter.
- ↑ Template:Citation
- ↑ WP's Png Eng Huat quietly active in the ward, The Straits Times, 10 May 2012
- ↑ Deputy Webmaster: Png Eng Huat, wp.sg, retrieved 11 May 2012
- ↑ Parliamentary General Election 2011: East Coast GRC, singapore-elections.com, retrieved 11 May 2012
- ↑ WP fields Png Eng Huat as Hougang by-election candidate, channelnewsasia.com, 11 May 2012
- ↑ It's back to Desmond Choo versus Png Eng Huat, My Paper, 17 May 2012
- ↑ MP Png holds his first Meet-the-People session, My Paper, 31 May 2012
- ↑ Png Eng Huat appointed vice-chairman of Aljunied-Hougang Town Council, channelnewsasia.com, 11 June 2012
- ↑ New WP candidate breaks down at unveiling, sg.news.yahoo.com, 25 April 2011
- ↑ Who are Desmond Choo and Png Eng Huat?, sg.news.yahoo.com, 16 May 2012
- Png Eng Huat at parliament.gov.sg