Republic Polytechnic (Chinese: 共和理工学院), commonly abbreviated to RP, is a tertiary institution located in Singapore. It was the first school system in Singapore to use Problem-based learning (PBL) pedagogy for all its diplomas.
RP's project team began operating in the premises of Data Storage Institute, National University of Singapore in January 2002. On 1 July 2002, it shifted into Tanglin Campus which was previously occupied by the Ministry of Education, Singapore. It opened its doors to the first intake of students in 2003 before moving to the current Woodlands campus in 2007.
On 31 July 2007, RP's Woodlands campus was officially opened by Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong. The campus was designed by Japanese architect, Fumihiko Maki and DP Architects. Completed in 2006, the new campus is able to cater 13,000 students. It is conceived as a campus with a central nucleus which contains 11 learning Pods (8-9 storeys high) which are unified by 2 elliptical decks of common facilities, namely The Lawn and The Agora.
Also known as a Paperless Campus, RP's Woodlands campus is backed by IT-supported network for both academic and administrative functions. It employs state-of-the-art technology, through its solid wireless IT infrastructure supported by a comprehensive hardware-software system. In line with its green approach, environmentally friendly features such as fritted glasses, flooring made from recycled nylon and tyres, and sunshade louvres were integrated in the building design. Replacing the conventional air-conditioning system, the campus is equipped with tanks containing chilled water, which are recharged at night using low tariff electricity. This significantly reduces overall electric consumption.
In 2008, RP earned the ASEAN Best Practices for Energy Efficient Buildings Competition under the New and Existing Buildings category. While in November 2009, RP was awarded the Green Office Label under Project Eco-Office by the Singapore Environment Council. The Green Office Label (2001-2011) reaffirms RP as an environmentally friendly work place. RP was later honoured with the President*s Design Award in 2010. The campus was also the first to win the First-ever Singapore Green Mark Plantinum award for its eco friendly design.
Schools and centresEdit
RP partners with local and overseas universities for advanced standing arrangements for its diploma programmes. Graduates who are interested in continuing their education overseas typically can obtain up to 1.0 - 1.5 years exemptions from a degree programme. As of 2013, RP has 6 schools and 2 academic centres and offers 37 full time diploma courses that train its students to be industry-ready upon graduation:
|Full Time Courses|
|School of Management and Communication (SMC)||Diploma in Mass Communication|
|Diploma in Consumer Behaviour and Research|
|Diploma in Social Enterprise Management|
|Diploma in Human Resource Management with Psychology|
|School of Applied Science (SAS)||Diploma in Biomedical Sciences|
|Diploma in Biotechnology|
|Diploma in Materials Science|
|Diploma in Pharmaceutical Sciences|
|Diploma in Environmental Science|
|Diploma in Marine Science and Aquaculture|
|School of Engineering (SEG)||Diploma in Industrial And Operations Management|
|Diploma in Aerospace Avionics|
|Diploma in Supply Chain Management|
|Diploma in Aviation Management|
|Diploma in Aerospace Engineering|
|Diploma in Green Building Energy Management|
|Common Engineering Programme|
|Diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering|
|Diploma in Engineering Systems and Management|
|Diploma in Engineering Design with Business|
|School of Sports, Health and Leisure (SHL)||Diploma in Sports And Exercise Sciences|
|Diploma in Sports and Leisure Management|
|Diploma in Outdoor And Adventure Learning|
|Diploma in Health Management And Promotion|
|Diploma in Health Services Management|
|Diploma in Sports Coaching|
|School of Hospitality (SOH)||Diploma in Integrated Events Management|
|Diploma in Customer Experience Management with Business|
|Diploma in Hotel and Hospitality Management|
|Diploma in Wellness and Hospitality Business|
|Diploma in Restaurant and Culinary Operations|
|School of Infocomm (SOI)||Diploma in Information Technology|
|Diploma in Business Information Systems|
|Diploma in Business Applications|
|Diploma in Interactive And Digital Media|
|Diploma in Mobile Software Development|
|Diploma in Infocomm Security Management|
|School of Technology for the Arts (STA)||Diploma in Media Production and Design|
|Diploma in Sonic Arts|
|Diploma in Arts and Theatre Management|
|Diploma in Game Design|
|Diploma in Design for User Experience|
- RP School of Applied Science partnered National University of Singapore to launch a revolutionary project that "coaxes silkworms to spin high-strength silk fibres" that are stronger than kevlar
- A team of Diploma in Biomedical Engineering students from School of Engineering developed possibly the world's first iPhone-based portable brain control system
- The team which developed the iPhone based portable brain control system won the Institution of Engineers Singapore (IES) Design 2011 Gold Award. They will represent Singapore in the 5th International Convention on Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology (I-CREATe) in Bangkok, Thailand.
- RP School of Hospitality opened a $2 million restaurant training laboratory, Oliva, which is fully manned by RP's hospitality students.
- RP School of Sports Health and Leisure developed a high-tech test of balance and stability
- RP School of Engineering clinched medals from three categories in the 17th Singapore Robotic Games.
- 26 January 2011, RP went into an exclusive partnership with the integrated resort, Resorts World Sentosa (RWS). Top performers from RP School of Hospitality will be selected to participate in a specialisation track in Theme Park and Attraction Management.
- RP and EON Reality, on 16 November 2010, signed a Memorandum of Understanding. The collaboration aims to expand the Interactive Digital Media (IDM) industry through student internship programmes, academic module development, laboratory research and more.
- Marina Bay Sands and RP signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on 9 September 2010.
- On 27 July 2010, International Business Machines (IBM) and RP, signed an agreement that makes the institution the first IBM Authorised Training Partner in ASEAN to offer professional certification and training on mainframe technology in Singapore and the region.
- To facilitate and support the growth of the sports industry, and to enhance the capability and professionalism of stakeholders in the industry, RP signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Singapore Sports Council on 13 May 2010.
- On 28 April 2010, RP signed a Memorandum of Understanding with High Tech Computer Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd (HTC) in which they will collaborate to train RP students in mobile application technology.
List of websites blocked in Republic PolytechnicEdit
- The Pirate Bay
- YIFY Torrents
- Torrent Crazy
- Torrents Download
- Torrent Hound
- Torrent Reactor
- Extra Torrents
- xxxbunker.com - Pornography
- Ng Si Miang
- Ahmad Sies
- Reflections on PBL (Problem-based Learning)
- Office of Student and Graduate Affairs Newsletter
- ↑ The Sunday Times: Education, Republic Polytechnic Singapore
- ↑ Channel News Asia: Republic Polytechnic Sees its Fifth and Largest Batch of Graduates
- ↑ Ministry of Education: Speech by Mr S Iswaran, Senior Minister of State, Ministry of Trade and Industry and Ministry of Education, at the 1st Session of the 5th Graduation Ceremony of Republic Polytechnic
- ↑ Official Opening Ceremony of Republic Polytechnic
- ↑ Maki and Associates: Architecture and Planning
- ↑ BECA: Republic Polyechnic, Teaching Environment with Added Energy Efficiency
- ↑ WOW Vision: Republic Polytechnic Singapore, A Campus-wide Wireless Solution
- ↑ HardwareZone.xom: SingNet launches Wireless Campus Trial for Republic Polytechnic
- ↑ Green Journey without End
- ↑ BECA: Republic Polyechnic, Teaching Environment with Added Energy Efficiency
- ↑ Singapore Bags 5 ASEAN Energy Awards BCA.gov.sg: Singapore Bags 5 ASEAN Energy Awards
- ↑ Singapore Environment Council: Project Eco-office
- ↑ Past Eco Action Day
- ↑ DesignSingapore.org: President*s Design Award 2009
- ↑ World Architecture News: First ever Singapore Green Mark Platinum Award Awarded to Innovative Green Campus
- ↑ The Straits Times: Silk so Strong you Can Turn it into Bullet-proof Vests
- ↑ NUS Enterprise: Creating "Super" Silk
- ↑ Channel News Asia: RP Develops iPhone-based Portable Brain Control System
- ↑ [Republic Polytechnic Shines at IES Design 2011 Republic Polytechnic Shines at IES Design 2011]
- ↑ I-CREATe: Bangkok, Thailand
- ↑ The Straits Times: Republic Poly Opens Campus Restaurant Run by Students
- ↑ Channel News Asia: Ice Queen Michelle Kwan Tests her Balance at Republic Poly
- ↑ TODAY online: Michelle Kwan Tries Out 'Wobble Board' - Republic Poly Balance Test Set to Feature at Coming Sports Institute
- ↑ Singapore Robotic Games
- ↑ ChannelNewsAsia: Republic Poly's underwater robots take top spots in competition
- ↑ RP: Republic Polytechnic Makes a Clean Sweep of Medals in Autonomous Underwater Robotic category at Singapore Robotic Games 2010
- ↑ CasinoSingapore.sg: Republic Polytechnic & RWS team up on theme park management programme
- ↑ newsXinMsn: Republic Poly teams with Resorts World on theme park & attraction management programme
- ↑ TimeDirectories.com: Resorts World to offer training, internship, jobs to poly students
- ↑ MarinaBaySands: Marina Bay Sands announces scholarships for Ten Republic Polytechnic students
- ↑ IBM.com: IBM and Republic Polytechnic to Groom Mainframe Professionals in ASEAN
- ↑ ConvergenceAsia: IBM and Republic Poly to groom mainframe professionals
- ↑ ChannelNewsAsia: Republic Poly, S'pore Sports Council to develop sports professionals
- ↑ RedSports.sg : Republic Poly and Singapore Sports Council sign MOU to develop sports professionals
- ↑ Asiaone: HTC to train poly students in mobile apps technology